opposite of what they mean
A man who is a traffic cop gets his license suspended for unpaid parking tickets.
9. Parallelism: repetition of word or phrases to emphasize a point
My favorite foods are pizza, chocolate, steak and donuts.
8. Metaphor: compares two things where one is the other
He is the apple of my eye.
7. Simile: compares two things using like or as
He is as fast as a cheetah.
6. Oxymoron: the juxtaposition of seemingly unrelated words
The paper tablecloth flapped in the wind.
5. Onomatopoeia: words that represent sounds
The floor board squeaked as I ran across it.
4. Personification: using animals or inanimate objects are given
The clock screamed the time.
3. Alliteration: repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of
Sister Susie sat in the sun.
2. Hyperbole: an exaggeration
The dog weighed a ton.
1. Imagery: descriptive language that attempts to invoke one or
more of the five senses
The azure sky melted into the horizon across the tumbling waves.