Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bring it to Life with Detail!

Often I come across essays where even though a student answers the question presented, it lacks detail and reasoning. 
For example, if I asked what you liked about the beach and you simply said, “sand,” I would walk away a bit bored and wanting to know why. The same is true for your writing. If the prompt provided for an essay poses a question, answer it and tell why. Give details and examples and use descriptive language whenever you can.
“What do you like about the beach?”
“I like the sand best because I have a shell collection and whenever we go to the shore, I look for colorful additions to my set. I also enjoy building sand castles in the wet sand with my little sister.”
Now this is s a full reason and explanation.  It also uses detail and adjectives (descriptive language) to let the reader form a picture and impression of his own.

Always tell more. Tell detail. Tell examples. Tell every last thing until there's nothing left to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment